Sunday, August 24, 2014

Enough…Definitely More than Enough.


I recently read this chapter entitled “Enough” within the book Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequist.  It resonated within me and I related with her so much that I wanted to share it with you. 
 
Enough

“Something extraordinary happened to me today, I found out a dear friend is pregnant.  That’s not extraordinary.  Everyone I know is pregnant.  You think I’m exaggerating, but I have seventeen pregnant friends, and nine friends with babies born since September.  Not just Facebook friends or acquaintances either – real see-them-at-church, go-to-their-showers, send-them-baby-blankets friends.
It’s an epidemic, and I sometimes think I might be at the center of it – like if you’re my friend, you’re 883,584 times more likely to get pregnant than if you’re not.  I’m like an incredibly successful fertility drug.  My friend Kelly used to say that if you want to get married, you should be his roommate, because for a couple of years everyone who moved in with him promptly met someone, fell in love, moved out, and got married.  That’s how I am with pregnancies.  Trying to conceive? Be my friend.  It works for you, but it doesn’t seem to be working for me.
Henry will be five this year, and since his first birthday, we’ve been trying to have another baby—seeing doctors, praying, longing.  I’ve miscarried twice, and one of the pregnancies was twins.  And in the meantime, approximately every woman I know between twenty and forty has announced a pregnancy.
At one point this winter I was feeling so tender and raw about it that at dinner with my family, I said, 'If any of you is pregnant, I just need you to tell me now.'  I said this to my almost-sixty-year-old parents and my single brother.  They stared at me with confusion, but at that point, nothing would have surprised me.  My phone’s probably pregnant.  That chair over there probably just got pregnant without even trying.
Clearly, I was not handling this well.  At one point I told Aaron, 'Pregnant is the new skinny.'  What I meant is, if you know me at all, you know that one of my most cracked-up, terribly errant beliefs is that skinny people are always happy.  Because I think I would be happy all day long if I was skinny.  If something upset me, I would just look down at my long, skinny legs – happiness!  If my heart was broken, I’d just put on a bikini – and that sadness would vanish.
I know this isn’t true.  I know this is crazy talk.  I know miserable skinny people.  But I confess that sometimes I want to shake them; I know, I know, this or that has got you down, but find a three-way mirror and look at your butt.  Don’t you feel better now?  I know I would.
I found myself believing the same thing about being pregnant – that all my left-out, broken-down, fragile, ugly feelings would vanish the second I saw the all-important line on the pregnancy test.  I know it’s not true, but I felt it.
I became the person people don’t want to tell they’re pregnant.  I hate that.  A friend told me her happy, fantastic news, and just a second later she burst out crying, afraid for how this would make me feel.  I hate that.  I work really hard to arrange my face in such a way that approximates uncomplicated glee.  And I am happy for them, of course.  But sometimes just after the happiness is the desperation.  Some days are easier than others.
At one point I told Aaron that if I found out I wasn’t pregnant that month, I’d break something glass, just to feel it shatter in my hands.  I was counting the days all the time, recounting, hoping.  And then I found out I wasn’t pregnant.  Again.  I didn’t break anything, but I posted something on my blog about how I was feeling.  I should have been doing all sorts of other, more urgent work, but that morning at the coffee shop, all that sadness and frustration and confusion bled out of my fingers and onto the screen.
Later that week I had lunch with my friend Emily.  She lives in Michigan and came in town to visit.  To be honest, I hoped she hadn’t read my post.  She was one of my seventeen pregnant friends, and I wanted to talk about her baby and her pregnancy – about cravings and names and maternity clothes.  I wanted it to be a sweet, happy lunch.  And it was.   We talked about all the lovely baby stuff, and then she gave me a card and a gift.
She told me that she had read my post, and that this was the point in friendship when sometimes two friends walk away from each other for a while, because the pain and the awkwardness and the tenderness was too great.  She said she thought we could do better than that.
And then she handed me two pairs of safety goggles.
She said, 'When you feel like shattering something, I’ll be right there with you.  We’ll put on our safety goggles.  I’ll help you break something, and then I’ll help you clean it up.'
She said, 'You’ve been celebrating with me, and I’ll be here to grieve with you.  We can do this together.'
It took my breath away.  We cried together at the restaurant, the two of us, one pregnant, one not, sitting next to the window of an Italian restaurant on a busy street, each with a pair of Home Depot safety goggles, tears running down our faces.
It was one of the most extraordinary experiences of friendship I’ve ever had.  Because it would have been so easy for her to say, 'I’m in my happy season.  This is a wonderful, blessed season for me, and I don’t want Angry Pants over here wrecking it.'  She could have concluded it was so complicated to manage her joy and my sadness that she wouldn’t enter into this mess.  But she did enter in.
Something broke inside me that day.  Something cracked, and all the energy and fear and roiling anger drained out.  I felt calm and empty.  I felt sad but not devastated.  I was exhausted and couldn’t carry it anymore.
Enough.
It had reached fever pitch – consuming, obsessive, frantic.  Unsustainable.  It was like an addiction, and that moment was like getting sober – raw, silent, clear-eyed, the absolute stillness after a storm.  It felt like praying.
When I was sitting with Emily celebrating her good news, I felt what I’ve wanted to feel all along but couldn’t locate:  uncomplicated and deep happiness.  I felt happy for her.  Very, very happy.  And I feel so thankful for that feeling, for being able to be uncomplicatedly happy for the people I love.
It could all change again next month, I know.  I’ve been around this block for years now:  easier and harder, more complicated and less.  I‘m all serene and happy right now, but I could be back to throwing glassware next month.  Today, though, I’ll take what I can get.
Enough:  I don’t want to live like that anymore.  And enough:  I have enough.  I have more than I need, more than I could ask for.  I have a son who delights me every single day.  A husband I adore.  A family that walks with me well and friends who make the world feel rich.  I do work I care about – no small thing.
It’s not wrong to want another baby, but there’s a fine line in there, and I feel I’ve crossed it a few times these last months, and moved over into that terrible territory where you can’t be happy unless you have just that thing you want, no matter what else you have.  Speaking of children, that’s how they are – demanding, myopic, only able to focus on what they need in that moment.  That’s not how I want to live.  That’s not who I want to be.
I want to cultivate a deep sense of gratitude, of groundedness, of enough, even while I’m longing for something more.  The longing and the gratitude, both.  I’m practicing believing that God knows more than I know, that he sees what I can’t, that he’s weaving a future I can’t even imagine from where I sit this morning.
Extraordinary, indeed.
More than enough.”   
 (Chapter entitled “Enough” quoted from the book entitled Bread & Wine [a love letter to life around the table with recipes] by Shauna Niequist)
 
The seasons that we each find ourselves in can seem ever so complicated.  Sometimes they are very similar and other times so opposing, strikingly different.  We each have our joys, passions, heartaches & struggles. 

Today, I am filled with gratitude for the dear people in my life that have shown up with “safety goggles” and chosen to enter into the mess of my current struggle.  The Hunter and I greatly appreciate each of you and the love, support, sensitivity, encouragement, prayers and kindness that you have gifted us with.  "Thank you," especially to the dear friends who have bravely shared with me their pregnancies and allowed me to enter into their season of joy and expectation.  It takes a generous amount of courage to risk pain, awkwardness and misunderstanding in order to bridge diverse seasons of joy and heartache.  Thank you for being courageous. 

The neat thing about gratitude is that it opens the lenses of one's heart to see more and more of the good surrounding them.  No doubt, I am experiencing joy in other areas that may be places of tremendous sorrow for you.  I hope to be just as courageous and compassionate as Shauna’s friend was above…willingly entering into another’s mess…showing up with joy to share, tears ready to shed, and “safety goggles" for any shattering.

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 ESV
Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word.

Every journey and perspective is uniquely different.  Infertility continues to be a part of our journey.  Where ever you are today, I am happy you have visited my blog and I wonder if you also are balancing both deep longing and gratitude.  I pray that you realize fully that God and his grace are definitely more than enough for you and your journey.  Cling to Him…for oh, how He loves you!  And, the Lord is faithful!

2 Thessalonians 3:5 ESV
May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ.

 

1 comment: