Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Gray Hair.

I am excitedly anticipating an upcoming trip to visit my sister and brother-in-law.  I’m always elated to go visit, but this time I am especially looking forward to it because I have an appointment at the salon where my sister works.  She is going to do my hair!  I am hoping for some change of color and a much needed cut.  J

It’s funny how personal our hair styles are…unique in texture, length and color.  I remember when I was younger being terrified to cut my hair for fear it wouldn’t look the way I wanted and I remember when I finally realized, it would indeed grow back.  Oh the freedom to chop away!  J 

The other day, as I was straightening my out of control wavy hair, I stated to the Hunter that I was finding more and more gray strands among my otherwise dark hair!  I then honestly confessed “It kinda seems unfair that God would give me gray hair before he gave me children.”  Notice that I chose the word give…I am not opposed to a sparkling head of gray hair…my issue with it currently is that it seems out of order.  My first gray was spotted before I even met the Hunter.  It seemed out of order then just as it does now.  The truth of the matter is I would be much more excited to have silver strands of hair if I had grandchildren.  J  Somehow, gray seems much more attractive in this future stage of life.

Yet here I am today without children or grandchildren and with a growing number of individual gray hairs.

The Hunter reminded me of the following Bible verses:

Matthew 10:28-33 (ESV) – Jesus is speaking…
“And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.  Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.  Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. (God)  But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.  Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.  So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.”

These were so helpful in reminding me that 1. I don’t need to fear people, but I had better have a healthy fear of God and 2. Not a sparrow falls without God knowing…God knows the number of hairs on our head…if God cares to keep track of the number of hairs on my head, I am valued by Him! 

I don’t know about you, but I have no idea how many hairs I left in the shower this morning or how many I have shed thoughout the day…I don’t know how many gray hairs I have pulled or how many are still left in my thick head of hair…
 
I’m no longer dwelling on the seemingly unfair order of my gray hair and lack of children.  Instead I am sitting in awe and have a healthy fear of Him, who knows us so perfectly that he is keeping track of the number of hairs on our heads and values us so. 

Won’t you join me?  No one else know you this intimately or values you this highly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment